jan 14 contest

View previous topic View next topic Go down

jan 14 contest

Post  southernlures on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:30 am

this weeks contest will run till tuesday night
the winner will get will get 4 oz of butterscotch oil and 4 oz of cherry oil
from southen lures.

what i want you to do is give me a 200 word report on
how you would goe about getting land to trap on.

the winner will get a new formula to play around with on thier ingredents to learn how to make thier on lure and bait

good luck guys and ladys
bill
southernlures
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: jan 14 contest

Post  nathany93 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:48 pm

200 words? ah man......
nathany93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MT Cat Trapper on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

oh its not that bad nathany93! i would write it but i dont think i can since i won the last contest?
MT Cat Trapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathany93 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm

you can write again!

Last edited by nathany93 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
nathany93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LA_Bait_Company on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Well for me and my dad it is kind of easy to get permission to trap on.For one my dad has live in the area all of his life and has trapped for some of the owners back in his day.This makes it easier since they know he can be trusted.Also Most people we trap for like it better if we get rid some raccoons or beavers.We usually kind of go by how we did the year before and if we over trapped or not.If it has been over trapped we leave the area alone for a year or two.We have different areas we trap also.We have a south of town line we sometimes trap,a north or town line we sometimes trap, and so on.We will usually go before season starts and asked the owner for permission.Usually they say, "You can trap that and you can start whenever you want." We then usually have to explain to the landowner that the season starts on November 1st.We also sometimes call them during the colder months or if they aren't home.It is sometimes easier to get scout land when it is a muddy area or they is snow on the ground because then you can tell where they go.My dad and I usually do good in this manner of getting trapping land.I hope this helps.

P.S.-I don't know if this is 200 words.

LA_Bait_Company

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Getting trapping premission

Post  MT Cat Trapper on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:58 pm

One of the most important aspects of getting land is apperance... dont wear muddy clothes, dont smell, act as if though you were going to a job enterview! When you ask the land owner if you can trap start out by trying to find common interests,did he trap as a kid is he interested in the highschool football team, or does he need help around the farm/house. By doing this the owner will understand you are a good guy/gal and he can trust you. Another very important part about askin for permission is dont be the guy asking permission halp way through the season with traps in hand and all prepared to go set traps. Rather be the guy that askes a month before season get to know the guy help him out chances are he will do the same and let you trap! Once this is done he will respect you and you can form a friendship, word will get out to property owners that your a good guy, you can control nusience animals, and that you can be trusted. I believe when all of these aspects are used and put together you will be allowed to trap! (I believe this is 200 words).. Laughing
MT Cat Trapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

contest

Post  southernlures on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 pm

alright guys and ladys just do a report on the contest as long as it's not two or three lines
will work and remember you can do as many contest that i give out during season it don't matter if you won 1 or 40
what will matter is if you at least try...we might still have contest during the summer on different subjects as well we shale see on that for now

good luck
southern lures
southernlures
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MT Cat Trapper on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Okay thanks southernlures!
MT Cat Trapper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathany93 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:22 am

How i plan on getting more land in 2011.
First i work on a farm in the summer, this gives me allot of contacts, i have a list of farmers in the area i will be contecting, also they farmer i work for has land he said i can trap on this coming season ( about 150 acr. )
after getting a list of the farmers in the area that i meet, im gonna make up some business cards with a photo of myself on it and my name, address and phone number. the photo makes it good for farmers so they know who you are when they see you out walking around.
after getting the business cards made ill go to each farmer and tell them who i am and who i work for ( this always helps as most farmers are friends with each other ) and tell them im looking for farm ground to trap on
and ask if they have any damage of any kind, beaver,racccoon, coyote, etc.
if they have damage with a certian animal, ill tell them what traps i can use to catch them, and how they work.
if they say yes that i can trap, ill ask were their property ends so no problems acure with any other land owners.
and ill ask if they have any pets of any kind so i know to be carful on what lures i use.
ill then tell them what time i plan on trapping and give them my card so they can contact me at any time.
ill also give them referrence numbers that they can call.
if they say no, ill give the my card and thank them for their time.
another key thing is to dress nice, dont be shaby looking, smile when they open the door, if its a farmer your asking give them a good hand shake! they like the firmness, they dont get into the pimpy wimpy stuff Smile
And if they give you permission to trap their land, remember its THEIR land respect it! keep your trash picked up, shut all gates behind you, and try not to drive in feilds unless they are ok with it.
and its a good idea to check back with the Land owners every year, and if they have problems with a certain animal like say coyote, if you catch them show them to the land owner! this seems to make them happy they let you trap!

thats about all i can think of.

Nathany93

i think thats close to 400 words Smile
nathany93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ray12 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:33 pm

I try asking for permission to trap on rainy days when it is more likely for the farmer to be home and not busy.I try to wear clean clothes not my sunday clothes but clean clothes if you wear clean and neat clothes the farmer will think that you will also keep his property clean.I usually walk up to the land owner and introduce myself and tell him where i am from and ask him right away if i could trap his land during the trapping season.I try not to say NAW and Yup. They like if you say yes sir and no sir. Some other things that help is looking the landowner in the eyes when you are talking,smiling alot,And if they are afraid of the traps harming there livestock I like to show them a trap and explain that is cannot harm his livestock...If you get permmision to trap his property Be polite and be respectable to his propety and when you ask the next season you will have a better chance to get the permission..

Good luck guys

ray12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Land permission

Post  happersilderness on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:17 pm

All depends on what I'm trapping. if I'm looking for coon I'll be looking for someone who owns a farm with some ditches. For coyotes and fox I'd be looking for some fields. To figure out who owns it I grab the plat book look where I want to trap and look at it for half an hour mapping it out, of where I want permission. Then look them up in the phonebook, if there not in there I'll go to the local township meetings, and see if any of the farmers know who owns the property (and I'd also ask if I could trap on there land). After I got the phone number, I wait till a rainy day, when the farmer is likely inside. I usually call on Saturdays, cause they have a good chance of being home. Not Sundays cause they could be at church. I then call them ask for the owner of the property. Tell them what I want to do on there land. Tell them the critters I'd be going for, how I'd respect there property etc. After I got permission, I ask if they would have a day where they could show me around the property, to show me places I could and couldn't trap. You don't always have to call, you can stop by there place knock on there door and ask. Or if your driving by a barn or shed that the farmer owns thats usually closed, and it opened I'll stop in and ask if I can trap there land, or say hi, (or if you've already got permission to trap there land) you can stop in and tell them what you've got on there property.

happersilderness

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sniper one on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:25 pm

first of all, i figure out what im goin to trap. I usually trap for everything, so i want a good all around property, with several acres. I go talk to my grandpa about some of the land a terrain in the area. he grew up all over this valley, so he knows the land fairly well. Once we have figured out two or three places, i go get on google earth, and look at the terrain some more. once i have decided on a farm, I call my grandpa and ask if he knows who owns the property. Once i have found out, i look up his number in the phone book, just incase i need it, and then decide when i want to go and talk to him. I will get dressed like i was going to school. not Church, not to work, but to school. i want to look nice, but i dont want it to be overkill. At about 5 or 5:15 one night, ill go and knock on his door. i do it at this time because he should be home from working by then, but not eating supper yet. If he is home, when he answers the door, give him a firm handshake, look him in the eyes, and introduce myself. I ask him of he is having trouble with any animals. If so, tell him what i can do about them, and if he says yes to that animal, ask if i can trap other animals too, and ask about domestic animals and any rules he might have. if he says no, I shake his hand, thank him for his time, and give him a card with my name and phone number on it.

sniper one

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathany93 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:51 am

when the voting gonna start?
nathany93

View user profile

Back to top Go down

contest jan 14

Post  southernlures on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:09 pm

sorry i am be hind had a faimly hospital trip